Hey! My name is Jamie Brookes and I am a Media Studies student at West Hatch High School. I am very keen of Media and hope to continue discovering the every changing world surrounding it in university and later life. For my A2 course myself and two others, Faye Martin and Elliot Lee must create a music video and digi-pack for a band of our choice. On my blog I will be showing all the research and ideas I have come up with as well as the finished projects themselves and an evaluation summarising everything I have completed during the course. We also have a group blog, were group decisions, discussions and final ideas are kept.

Thursday 16 December 2010

Font Ideas For My Album Artwork

Before I begin and start planning my album cover for the band I decided to use, edit and create my own fonts. I decided to research a number of different fonts and needed to insure I keep the codes and conventions to the rock genre.

1)
 


I liked this font because of the use of the circles around the 'R' and 'A'. The circles look like moons which represents night and darkness. This is a convention of the genre rock. I also choose to make the font colour black as this too is a code for darkness and a convention of the genre rock.

2)



I like this idea because of the use of the patterns inside and between the letters. I believe this makes the text look quite gothic and suitable for our chosen genre.

3)








I like this font as it looks like it is hand written and spontaneous. It looks as though this was used on an album artwork then it gives the audience the feeling that this artwork was created with passion and personal to the members of the band. It is not a serious font either which is suitable for the age group of teenagers - young adults.

4)

 




The reason I like this font is because it has a fade out effect on the edges of some of the letters. I also like the way the font looks like a medieval font which could be used in a variety of different album artworks. I also like the fact that not all the letters are straight, instead they are slightly jolted, as if they have been placed randomly on the page. This makes the words seem more personal to the band.

5)





This is the last font I considered for my album artwork. I like this font because of the use of the lines scattered across the letters, as though they have been scratched into the font. However I do not like the excessive use of spirals on the edges of the letters and fact that all the letters are lined up perfectly.

6)






Before moving onto the production of my album artwork I decided to change my previous font as I was not completely happy with the layout and design of the letters. I edited the font one letter at a time and had them on separate layers so I can position them easily. One problem I faced while editing the font was the fact that the previous idea was saved as a .jpeg therefore when imported into photoshop a white background was placed behind each letter. This was easily sorted out by using the magic wand tool to remove the default white background. I then positioned and rotated the letters however I wanted. After doing this I still was not happy with the overall shape of the letters, therefore I used the eraser tool and removed the excess spirals from some of the letters and stretched some of the letters tails. When I was completely satisfied I saved the file as a .jpeg and a .psd so I could adapt this font with the final album artwork later.

By this stage I was happy I had looked and created enough fonts. Therefore I decided to ask my group which font they though was the best and the most suitable for the genre rock. Both Faye and Elliott choose font 6, which is what I also decided on. I am now happy that I have a suitable font for my album artwork which I will be creating soon.  

No comments:

Post a Comment