Hey! My name is Jamie Brookes and I am a Media Studies student at West Hatch High School. I am very keen of Media and hope to continue discovering the every changing world surrounding it in university and later life. For my A2 course myself and two others, Faye Martin and Elliot Lee must create a music video and digi-pack for a band of our choice. On my blog I will be showing all the research and ideas I have come up with as well as the finished projects themselves and an evaluation summarising everything I have completed during the course. We also have a group blog, were group decisions, discussions and final ideas are kept.

Monday 8 November 2010

Why Use Album Artwork?

Album artwork is used by artists and bands for many different reasons. These reasons are:
- To represent the artist/band
- To stand out and be eye-catching
- Enhance profit
- Used to advertise the contents
- Tries to draw the audience in
- Establishes album/artist and the music genre
- Acts as a selling tool. Art looks nice and can be used as a persuasive device
- Shows the creativity and originality of the artist
- Shows the credibility and artistic merit of the artist, art becomes the icon

All these reasons are achieved by using codes and conventions to communicate with the audience. When I come to creating my own album artwork I need to insure I am aware of all the typical conventions found on them. I researched album artwork and found that these are the typical features of an album cover:

Front
- Main image
- Name of artist/band
- Title of the album
- Band logo or recognisable symbol of the artist/band

Back
- Track list
- Special features
- Another image underneath the text

Institutional Information
- Price
- Barcode
- Record label
- Year of publishing
- Copyright information
- Individual track writers, composers, engineers, producers
- A reference number
- Band members
- Guest performers

Spine
- Name of artist/band
- Title of album
- Record label
- Reference number

1 comment: